If you have traveled to the north and south of Metro Manila, you have probably experienced the long queues of vehicles at toll gates. You may have also heard about or used the Autosweep RFID and Easytrip RFID first-hand from a long day of work, a city errand day, or a vacation trip to a top local travel destination in the country.
For frequent drivers or newbies using NLEX, SLEX, and other major expressways, we are here to help make things easier for you. Here is a quick guide on everything you need to know about these stickers installed in your car that enables contactless transactions. Why does it make the trip faster? What is the application process like?
What is an RFID?
Let’s start defining the terms with radio frequency identification or otherwise known as RFID. It is a form of wireless communication that uses electromagnetic fields to uniquely identify and track tags or stickers attached to an object. This device consists of a tiny radio transponder, receiver, and transmitter that transfers digital data from the sticker to an RFID reader.
RFID lanes are used on major expressways in the Philippines with Autosweep and Easytrip. On November 2, 2020, the Department of Transportation required all expressways and tollways to transition into a cashless payment system. The deadline was extended to December 1, 2020, as the final extension in transitioning to 100% cashless transactions.
Where do you install your RFID sticker?
The RFID sticker can be placed on three locations of your vehicle. The toll fee is automatically debited from the driver’s account once they pass through the RFID lanes.
- Windshield. This is the ideal spot since the sensors are located above and on the sides of the toll booths. Although, if your windshield has a medium tint, it may reduce the effectiveness of the device and this location is not recommended.
- Headlights. To maximize the brightness of your headlights, this location is suggested for those who have clear RFID stickers only.
- License Plate. You can get an attachment for your RFID sticker so you can place it at the top of your front license plate. This is functional, although, there are mixed reviews about its effectiveness. We recommend that you wait for the new or recalibrated sensors before deciding to place it in this location.
What is AutoSweep RFID?
AutoSweep is a cashless payment service of the San Miguel Corporation (SMC), operating in the following — Skyway, Muntinlupa-Cavite Expressway (MCX), NAIA Expressway (NAIAX), South Luzon Expressway (SLEX), Star Tollway (STARTOLL), and Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX). The utilization of expressways and tollways is the only difference between Autosweep and Easytrip, but more on that later.
For Bria homeowners, most housing projects have quick and easy access to expressways. For instance, the Bettina Townhouse as well as the Alecza and Elyana house models in Bria Homes Calamba Executive is located near SLEX.
Moreover, for those wanting to find their perfect home in Cavite, there are also a lot of transportation networks that connect Cavite to the rest of Luzon. Make sure to check this list of affordable house and lot in Cavite by Bria Homes if you are looking to invest in real estate.
Where do you get an Autosweep RFID?
If you pass the mentioned expressways frequently, you must acquire an AutoSweep RFID by registering through one of their customer service centers, toll gates, and gasoline stations spread across the Metro.
For motorists with an Easytrip RFID, you can easily create an Autosweep account, starting this January 15, 2023. Here are four simple steps to do it:
- Visit the Autosweep website to download the application form.
- Bring the complete application form, one valid government-issued or company ID, and the vehicle with the Easytrip RFID sticker (only the latest neology brand will work) to the nearest Autosweep customer service center or kiosk.
- Buy a minimum load of ₱200 (Class 1) and ₱500 (Class 2 and 3) for the new Autosweep account, which will use a separate electronic wallet from the Easytrip account.
- The Autosweep account will be activated as soon as all the requirements have been submitted and the Easytrip sticker passes testing.
What is Easytrip RFID?
Easytrip is an electronic tollway collection system by the Metro Pacific Tollway company. It is provided for vehicles traveling the C5 South Link, Cavite Expressway (CAVITEX), North Luzon Expressway (NLEX), and Subic Clark Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX). Similar to Autosweep, the Easytrip tag is placed on the windshield of a vehicle, allowing users to drive cash-free into the designated or mixed toll lanes.
There are three kinds of Easytrip RFID products offered, namely the tag, RFID sticker, and EasyDrive RFID sticker. For CAVITEX, NLEX, and SCTEX, you should use the Easytrip tag or RFID sticker. On the other hand, the EasyDrive sticker can only be used through CAVITEX.
Where do you get an Easytrip RFID?
Installations are only done through authorized websites and they do not sell RFID tags online. Here is a step-by-step guide to subscribe for an Easytrip RFID:
- Register through the Easytrip website for an RFID subscription.
- Bring your vehicle to Easytrip or EasyDrive installation sites (located at NLEX-SCTEX, CAVITEX, C5 Link, and CALAX) 24 hours after sending the online subscription.
- Print and present the reference number at the Easytrip RFID installation sites.
- Pay the initial load required. The minimum for the Easytrip RFID sticker is ₱500 and the minimum for the Easytrip RFID tag is ₱2,000 (inclusive of a ₱300 initial load). Meanwhile, EasyDrive has a subscription fee of ₱400 (inclusive of ₱200 initial load).
How to do an RFID Balance Inquiry?
To check your RFID balance, take note of the following steps:
1. Via Website
- After installing your RFID sticker, register the details at www.autosweeprfid.com.
- Log in and go to Enrolled Accounts.
- Click the balance button.
2. Via Mobile App
- Using your mobile phone, go to www.autosweeprfid.com.
- Follow the instructions to start your download.
- Launch the ap and register or sign in with your RFID details.
- Tap the balance button.
3. Via text
- Text AUTOSWEEP <space> BALINQ <space> Plate Number.
- Send to 09178607655.
1. Via Website
- After registering, go to https://easytrip.reload.ninja.
- Log in with your Easytrip account number.
- View your current balance.
2. Via Mobile Application
- Go to the app store and download the Easytrip app.
- Register and log in to your account.
- Add your vehicle details and click save.
- Click your account to view your balance.
How do you reload your RFID?
You can top up Autosweep and RFID through kiosks along the highway or at reloading centers, such as 7/11, Shell or Petron gasoline stations, and SM Business Centers, among others. To make life easier, you can also use the following digital loading channels.
- China Bank
- EON by UnionBank
- Union Bank
- EON by UnionBank
- Smart Money
Like all technology, RFID is always on the road with new innovations and expansion. Make sure to visit the Easytrip and Autosweep websites for more updated information. We hope that using RFID’s fast and cash-free system will result in safe and convenient trips for you.
Written by Gianne D. Inumerable