The newly released South Korean Netflix series ‘squid game’ has been the talk of the internet for a while now. Since the day of its release – not too long ago, ‘Squid Game’ was able to catch the viewers’ attention with the thrill and drama brought by it. If you still hadn’t watched it, well then this might be your sign to do it now! Read on to learn how to do the viral honeycomb candy from squid game.
Squid game has been topping the charts as number 1 on Netflix Philippines and in other countries as well. With the number of viewers all around the globe, it has also became a source for memes and talk about topics. One of which was the honeycomb candy that players had to use.
Read: Viral Tiktok Trends to Try at Your House and Lot During Lockdown
Squid Game’s honeycomb candy or also known as dalgona candy is a traditional south Korean snack. This honeycomb or dalgona candy is a popular snack among south Korean kids due to its sweet taste and carved out fun shapes. Makers and vendors of these used to line up in front of schools and offer them. If you’ve been wanting to try it out, here’s a tutorial on how to make the viral squid games’ honeycomb candy.
The viral honeycomb candy / viral dalgona candy is actually very simple to make, but we bet, once you’ve tried it you’ll get addicted to it. Especially if you’ll try the challenge of carving out the shapes, it will definitely bring the competitiveness out in you!
Honeycomb Candy Ingredients
- Baking soda
Aside from sugar and baking soda here are other things you need in making it:
- A small non-stick pan (if you have a super small one, much better!)
- A pair of chopsticks (to get more of a Korean feel while mixing it, but you can use anything as a rod that doesn’t melt)
- Glass jar with a flat bottom
- Cookie-cutter (with your preferred shape)
- Sheet of baking paper
Are you ready? Here’s how to do it:
- Turn on the stove and put your non-stick pan in. Set the flame or heat level onto the lowest setting.
- Place the sugar in the non-stick pan and heat it. Tilt the pan at an angle (and keep it there) so that the sugar pools in a small area instead of spreading out over the pan.
- Stir with the chopsticks and keep stirring as the sugar melts. Let the melted sugar turn a milk coffee colour (the darker the colour, the more bitter it is). You can adjust the heat by lifting the pan or bringing it back to the fire.
- Once all the sugar has melted, remove the pan from the fires. Immediately add a pinch of baking soda and stir constantly. The mixture’s colour will lighten. Make sure all the baking soda dissolves and there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking paper. Wait for about 10 seconds, then place the jar on the mixture and gently press it down to flatten it. Don’t press too hard because you still want to retain some thickness for the cookie cutter.
Getting the right consistency of the honeycomb candy could be difficult. It’s very much normal to get it after a few try. Once you’re done doing it, you can now try to do the game as if you’re in it too!
Now that you’ve tried the dalgona candy challenge, here are other things you might want to know about the Netflix hit series, Squid game!
Facts About the Squid Game
1. It is now Netflix’s Most Popular Series
Since its release, which was less than a month ago, squid game was able to draw 111 Million fans nationwide. The spread of the series was mostly due to word of mouth, especially in various social media platforms.
The series is offered in both dubbed and subtitled versions in multiple languages which why it has topped in more than 80 countries.
2. Originally Called “Round Six”
Before it was known to be “Squid Game”, the famous series was actually planned to be called “round Six” due to the number of rounds the game had to offer.
3. It took 12 Years
Squid game’s writer Hwang Dong-Hyuk began working on the story in the year 2008 and had the first draft finished by 2009. However, the writer faced difficulties with the funding, casting and gathering support to get his movie made due to the risky story. It was deemed to be too abstract by people back then.
However, after 12 years, the peculiarity of such movie plots are now warmly embraced by the audience. But, do watch it at your own risk.
4. The Honeycomb Candy Challenge Became Viral a Tiktok Trend
One of the reasons why you have probably clicked this article on how to make the Honeycomb candy was probably that the virality of the challenge reached you.
The Honeycomb candy became mostly popular among tiktokers as they were inspired to create their own version and share it through social media like challenge’s YouTube and Facebook.
The ease of doing it and the thrill of imitating the game is definitely something most people wanted to try!
5. It was supposed to be a movie
The creator of Squid came said that the project was originally intended to be a feature film. It was because Hwang, the writer mostly wrote and directed movies that were a great hit such as “Silenced”, and “The Fortress”.
Hwang Dong-Hyuk was also the screenwriter and director of “Miss Granny”, one of the most successful musical comedy films of all time in Korea.
Miss Granny was even remade in the Philippine theaters wherein Sarah Geronimo Played the main character along with James Reid.
6. There were clue for the games
The room that looked like the player’s headquarters had some doodles and drawings on the walls that depicted the games they would play. It was not easily seen as the walls were covered by bunk beds.