Filipino baking recipes are known for their unique flavors and delightful textures. From traditional Filipino desserts to modern twists, there’s a wide variety of options to explore. In this article, we’ll dive into five fun and enjoyable Filipino-baked recipes that you can easily recreate in your own kitchen.
So, get ready to explore the magic of Filipino desserts as we guide you through the steps of creating these delectable delights. From the moment you mix the ingredients to the anticipation of the oven timer ticking away, the journey itself is an experience to be savored. And once you take that first bite, you’ll understand why Filipino desserts hold a special place in the hearts of millions.
Join us as we explore the delightful world of Filipino baking, one recipe at a time. Get ready to experience the magic, embrace the flavors, and create memories that will last a lifetime. It’s time to roll up your sleeves, dust off your measuring cups, and let the sweet aroma of Filipino desserts fill your home. Let the baking begin!
1. Ube Cheese Pandesal
Ube, also known as purple yam, is a popular ingredient in Filipino desserts. Ube Cheese Pandesal is a delightful twist on the classic pandesal, a soft and chewy bread roll. To make this delicious treat, combine ube, cheese, sugar, and all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Knead the dough until it’s soft and elastic, then let it rise. Shape the dough into individual rolls, ensuring that each one has a generous filling of cheese. Bake them in the oven until golden brown. The result is a delightful combination of sweet and savory flavors, perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Easy Steps to Bake Delicious Ube Pandesal:
1. Combine 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 ¼ teaspoons instant dry yeast, and ½ teaspoon salt.
2. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in 1 cup of warm milk. Add ½ cup ube jam, 1 beaten egg, and ¼ cup softened butter. Wait until a dough forms.
3. Transfer the dough to a clean, lightly floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
5. Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release the air. Divide into 12-15 equal portions.
6. Take a portion of the dough, flatten it with your hands, and place a cube of cheese in the center. Wrap the dough around the cheese, rolling it between your hands to form a smooth ball. Repeat with the remaining dough and cheese.
7. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
8. Roll each dough ball in breadcrumbs until fully coated. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Let the coated dough balls rest for 15-20 minutes.
10. Bake the Ube Cheese Pandesal in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Serve them as is or warm them up for a few seconds in the microwave before serving. These delightful bread rolls can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or paired with your favorite hot beverage. Enjoy the wonderful combination of sweet ube and cheesy goodness in every bite!
Read also: Bria homes – Easy microwave-only recipes. Microwave cooking isn’t just limited to warming food; it can also be used to prepare mouthwatering dishes.
Bibingka is a traditional Filipino dessert made from rice flour and coconut milk. It’s typically enjoyed during Christmas festivities, but you can make it any time of the year. To prepare bibingka, mix rice flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut milk, and eggs until well combined. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Bake it in the oven until the edges are golden and the center is set. The result is a soft and moist cake with a subtle coconut flavor that pairs perfectly with a cup of hot chocolate.
Simple Guide to Crafting Delicious Filipino Rice Cake (Bibingka):
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). If using banana leaves, cut them into circles slightly larger than your baking pan and line the pan with them.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the rice flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, and melted butter until well blended.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Make sure there are no lumps.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
6. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Remove the bibingka from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve the bibingka warm, topped with grated coconut. You can also add a sprinkle of sugar on top for added sweetness if desired.
If you have a sweet tooth and are into sweet flavors, Crinkles are a must-try Filipino dessert. These cookies are soft, chewy, and rolled in powdered sugar. To make Ube Crinkles, combine chocolate, flour, baking powder, butter, eggs, and sugar in a bowl. Mix until you have a smooth batter. Roll the dough into small balls, then coat them generously in powdered sugar. Place them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until they’re set and crackled. The end result is a batch of chewy cookies with a delightfully sweet flavor that will surely impress your friends and family.
Simple Steps to Baking Irresistible Filipino Crinkles Cookies:
1. From the bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
2. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together ½ cup vegetable oil and 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar until well combined.
3. Add 2 large eggs, one at a time, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough. Roll each portion into a ball between the palms of your hands.
8. Roll each dough ball in powdered sugar, ensuring it is fully coated.
9. Place the coated dough balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the cookies have spread and the tops have cracked. The centers will still be slightly soft.
11. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
12. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
4. Cheese Cupcakes
Cheese cupcakes are a delightful combination of sweet and savory flavors. To make these delectable treats, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, eggs, milk, and grated cheese in a bowl. Fill cupcake liners with the batter and bake them in the oven until they’re golden and firm. The cheese adds a unique twist to these cupcakes, making them a favorite among dessert lovers.
Easy and Delicious Filipino Cheese Cupcake Recipe:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a cupcake tray with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
3. Add the melted butter, milk, and eggs to the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is smooth and well-mixed. Avoid overmixing.
4. Fold the grated cheese into the batter until evenly distributed.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake liners, filling each one about two-thirds full.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
7. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the tray for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Once cooled, the cheese cupcakes are ready to be enjoyed!
Filipino baking recipes offer a wide range of flavors and textures that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. From ube-infused delights to classic favorites like bibingka, there’s a Filipino dessert for everyone. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and enjoy the process of creating these scrumptious treats in the comfort of your own home. Happy baking!
Written by Mark Anthony Seña